November 3, 2009

Hard Is Your Lot

"Hard is your lot, envy whispers each day
    Roses are strewn on the other's sweet way
Why should you struggle when they do succeed
    Why should they prosper when you are in need


Bitterness grows as it spreads its dark roots
    All of the aspects of life feels its shoots
Anger and discontent comes in their wake
    Your life is dismal, no more can you take


Soon faith is struggling within envy's grasp
    Hope has absconded - evaded your clasp
Bitterness creeps in with soft stealthy tread
    Joy lies prostrated - she seems to be dead


Envy Is Whispering Words In My Ear

Envy is whispering words in my ear
I should not listen but I like to hear
Drawing attention when others succeed
Their easy life is compared to my need 



Bitterness follows quite fast in her wake
Pointing to contrasts - not what is at stake
Godly contentment, she kicks to the side
While discontentment doth over her ride
 
'Envy', I spurn you, you murmur in vain
For 'in the Lord' rests my lot, joy or pain
Others? What matters if they seem more blessed

God only asks me to pass my own test
  

~ Jennifer Rene Daniel 


"So Peter seeing him said to Jesus,
'Lord, and what about this man?'
Jesus said to him,
'If I want him to...what is that to you? You follow Me!'"
John 21:21-22

"If anyone wishes to come after Me,
he must deny himself,
and take up his cross
and follow Me.
For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it,
but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it.
For what does it profit a man to gain the WHOLE world,
and forfeit his soul?"
Mark 8:34-36 

"He said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb,
And naked I shall return there.
The Lord gave
and the Lord has taken away.
Blessed be the name of the Lord.'"
Job 1:21  

No comments:

Post a Comment